Saturday, February 14, 2009

One Nickel on Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day. While we share our profession of love with those in our lives, we also continue with our normal lives. As such, I found myself out in the garage looking at the sad state of my pipes.

I ended up burning some of my gear onto my pipes the other day. For those that know me, understand that my gear is designed to keep me safe - very safe. As a result, it is pretty hefty. I am not sure how, but I imagine that I threw the pants over the seat and in my haste, left them on the pipe. It was not until several days later, that I realized my mistake. There on my pretty chrome pipes, were several big blobs of black melted - no not melted, WELDED onto my pipes. Nothing was getting it off. I used all the tricks in my bag, WD-40 on hot pipes, fine (very, very, very fine) steel wool - nothing. Not even the slightest change. Then I found out about the secret of the nickel.

I doubted the validity of this, but figured what the heck - they are ruined anyway right? So on my cold pipes (yes, cold), I started to work, peeling off the globs of black junk. To my amazement, it started peeling off, and left the pipes in tact!
So for those that "ride for the freedom - and dress for the road", here is a secret. Remember the power of a nickel. It can save you a great deal of money, time and effort.

Kind of like life - the simplest things in life, gives us the most joy.
Happy Valentine's Day !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea.....if I could figure out what you mean :)
So your saying you scraped off the welded on blob of pants with a nickle coin? What's the difference between using a knife, metal spatula/putty knife or some other metal object?
The nickle is nice because it's small, it's easy to find or you may have it already on you when on the road, but other than that what is the advantage.

Sincerely
Slow witted.

Gray Lady Riders said...

Dear Slow
For some reason, the nickel does not scratch the pipes. Using a knife, spatula or other object, will scratch. As hard as it may be to believe - no scratches :-) However, I would wait until the pipes cooled off before trying. Otherwise, you will have hot hands and a hot nickel!

-RoadRunner